Sunday, February 26, 2006

Trivial Traveling

Tim Hackett. The news hits like a ton of bricks, and yet like feathers from so far away. So stunning, disheartening, awakening to what this world means...or doesn't. A man I spent so much time with, and yet never enough. A man whose idealism I could never live up to, and whose love for those around him fed everyone with joy, laughter, love. A man to whose soul these cliches shed not an ounce of light. This is my friend who through things so seemingly trivial as encouraging that next game to share good times, or to invite me up to the hills to play, always gave my world a little more. Even when it wasn't deserved, he concerned himself with my heart. He gave me a little more good; a little more happiness; a little more puzzle to figure out. Tim could send my world spinning and my mind challenged with a single sentence, a single word, a single look. Those words he uttered years back, "a good friend is leaving tomorrow" ring through my mind in eerie irony. I missed my chance again, Tim. I'm sorry.

But nothing I write here can ever suffice to encompass what he was, for he was more than words could ever say. For me to try to capture him inside an insufficient box of literary inadequacy seems more of an insult in its assumption that mere words could do him justice. No, words do not do... one must have actually experienced Tim to understand his being. He was more than anyone could know...and he was an asset to this world.

But now he's passed, and is the first reminder of mortality to come from the peers who are all too often deemed invincible. "They'll be there when I get back" is proven all too wrong, as the first, but not the last, bids his last goodbye to his kin, brethren, friends in an unforseen early departure. Those who did not know him certainly missed an opportunity, and those who did did not always go far enough in realizing who he was and what he meant. I, unfortunately, struggled to get past my own inhibitions to be truly open to him; and to learn from everything that he was.

Even as this news still seems foreign, untrue, impossible...I know in my heart and mind that all deaths are incompehensible. The tears that flow for the loss of this friend do so irrationally - they should be tears of joy for the knowledge that he lived happily. He lived deliberately. He loved every moment and nearly every person. He goes on in my heart and my memory. He inspires me for all of my time that's left. And whether he continues in another realm, I cannot say. I can assure, though, that he changed my world and many worlds for the better, just for being him.

Tim, I never did enough. I'll miss you. I love you.

2 Comments:

At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,
Ben and Sasha here,
I haven't seen Tim since college, but I am thankful to say that my memory of him is permanent: A wry smirk that conveys simple but profound carefree caring for people. It is like somewhere he just made the decision to welcome everyone he met into his life as a friend he'd known for years. Absolutly one of the best "friend of a friend" I can think of.

Awesome Eulogy, and despite the fact that it sounds like a ski jump commentary, no other word describes it: Awesome.

Thanks for your card by the way. Best card of my entire wedding.
Sasha and I are moving into a loft in downtown, fun renovation work. Email me and we'll catch up... looks like Ive got reading to do on you blog anyway.

No user profile yet... but I am at my email... ben"dot"lowry"at"gmail.com
(concealed to prevent some spam bot from finding my mail)

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,

I have just finished reading your beatiful words of Tim. Though I did not know Tim I feel your sorrow as though it was my own. My sorrow is combined with the pain of knowing he was with my brother when he left this world.
Your words of Tim sound so much like my feelings of Glen that it is no wonder they were together. Knowing Glen I can only imagine what a special person Tim was and I am truly heartbroken for you and all those who knew Tim. The world is a better place to have had Tim, Glen and Bo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home